Totem poles are not only decorations but also tell stories. Today, we read "Totem Tales" an Alaskan story by Deb Vanasse. It is the story of a totem pole that comes to life. The totem figures: Grizzly, Beaver, Frog, Wolf and Eagle have to reassemble themselves in proper order before daybreak. After reading the story, we used puppets to reenact the story. I am sure your child would love to share the story with you.
The children are still using dough to make decorations. Some children chose to make more decorations while others chose to paint those already made. As soon as they are dry and painted, the decorations will be sent home.Next week (weather permitting), we will walk to Musqueam to view two Coast Salish house posts that were erected during the 2010 Olympics.


I loved watching the excitement as the children performed their "play" for one another. It would be lovely to present to the rest of the group don't you think? Have you thought about an assessment tool to use for this Deb? I think it would be a wonderful addition to the learner portfolio.
ReplyDeleteKate
Found this online:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/expositions-exhibitions/haida/java/english/totem/index.html
Thank you for the link, it's great.
ReplyDeleteWhat a good idea Kate. I am sure the children would love to perform the play for the group. As for an assessment tool, I am trying to create one for the smart board.
ReplyDelete