Working with Wendy, the children have identified one of the functions of friendship is to help and be helped. We continued with that thought. We had a conversation of the different ways we have helped our friends. I asked "do you need to help when a friend asks?" All of the children said yes but not sure of why they thought that. .
 |
| "I have helped a friend." |
 |
| Dramatizing The Little Red Hen |
We read two versions of the Little Red Hen:
The Little Red Hen retold by Lyn Calder and
Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza by Philemon Sturges . In both stories, Hen's friends do not help her when asked. It is the ending of the stories that differ. In the original version, Hen does not share her bread when finished and in the other version, the pizza is shared. All of the children thought the Little Red Hen should share her bread with her friends. Some of the children were not sure why they thought this and the rest replied "because they are friends." I asked, "if they are friends shouldn't they help Hen?" My response was puzzled looks. We will continue to explore this in further group times.
 |
| "I want cheese, no sauce." |

To celebrate our friendship in the Fire Group, we made pizza together. Unlike the Little Red Hen, I had plenty of offers to help with the preparation. Each child made a small pizza and we had a pizza party with the daycare. It was delicious!!!
 |
| The finished pizza |
 |
| Sharing |
Comments
Post a Comment